SubjectRe: [Y2038] Question regarding support of old time interfaces beyond y2038
Hi Arnd,

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 8:53 AM Lukasz Majewski <lukma@denx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Zack,

> > > 1) We should be clear that most of these will continue to be
> > > supported as C library interfaces even if they are not system
> > > calls. Some of them are obsolete enough and/or rarely used
> > > enough that we might not bother (the older ways to set the system
> > > clock, for instance).
> >
> > The question here is about the decision if even the old time APIs
> > shall be supported on 32 bit systems which are going to be Y2038
> > proof (like the 'stime').
>
> See my other reply. In the kernel, it won't be supported (the old
> syscall is of course still there, but we may have an option to remove
> all time32 interfaces).

To be more specific:

I'm thinking of settimeofday/gettimeofday syscalls.

In the kernel we use internally do_sys_settimeofday64() to support
clock_settime() and settimeofday()

The internal (in-kernel) representation for those two is struct
timespec64.

If I may ask - why settimeofday64() and gettimeofday64() are not
implemented?

Is it because the same result can be achieved with clock_settime64(tv64)
+ settimeofday(NULL, tz) ?
(The drawback is two syscalls instead of one).

I've also stumbled upon the __kernel_timex introduction on the
playground branch:

"time: Add struct __kernel_timex"
2c620ff93d9fbd5d644760d4c21d389078ec1080

This one introduces the:
struct __kernel_timex_timeval {
__kernel_time64_t tv_sec;
long long tv_usec;
};

This code is "protected" by CONFIG_64BIT_TIME.

Is there any plan to explicitly introduce:

struct __kernel_timeval {
__kernel_time64_t tv_sec;
long ong tv_usec;
}

and convert settimeofday()/gettimeofday() ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

> In glibc, it's probably there in a y2038-safe
> way since it is there now, other C libraries may take other decisions
> that are independent of y2038.
>
> Arnd

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

--

DENX Software Engineering GmbH, Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma@denx.de

  Last update: 2019-03-07 15:44    [W:0.070 / U:0.088 seconds]