SubjectRe: KASAN: use-after-free Read in get_mem_cgroup_from_mm
On 2019/3/6 16:12, Peter Xu wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 03:41:06PM +0800, zhong jiang wrote:
>> On 2019/3/6 14:26, Mike Rapoport wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> There is a C reproducer in the syzcaller report:
>>>
>>> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=172fa5a3400000

>>> The race is between userfaultfd operation and fork() failure:
>>>
>>> forking thread | userfaultfd monitor thread
>>> --------------------------------+-------------------------------
>>> fork() |
>>> dup_mmap() |
>>> dup_userfaultfd() |
>>> dup_userfaultfd_complete() |
>>> goto bad_fork_something |
>>> ... |
>>> bad_fork_free: |
>>> free_task() |
>>>
>> Hi, Mike
> Hi, Zhong,
>
>> forking thread fails to create the process ,and then free the allocated task struct.
>> Other userfaultfd monitor thread should not access the stale mm->owner.
>>
>> The parent process and child process do not share the mm struct. Userfaultfd monitor thread's
>> mm->owner should not point to the freed child task_struct.
> IIUC the problem is that above mm (of the mm->owner) is the child
> process's mm rather than the uffd monitor's. When
> dup_userfaultfd_complete() is called there will be a new userfaultfd
> context sent to the uffd monitor thread which linked to the chlid
> process's mm, and if the monitor thread do UFFDIO_COPY upon the newly
> received userfaultfd it'll operate on that new mm too.
Thank Mike and Peter for further explanation. I get it.

Yes, The race indeed will result in the issue.

but as for the patch Andrea has posted. I still has a little worry.

The patch use call_rcu to delay free the task_struct, but It is possible to free the task_struct
ahead of get_mem_cgroup_from_mm. is it right?

Thanks,
zhong jiang
>> and due to the existence of tasklist_lock, we can not specify the mm->owner to freed task_struct.
>>
>> I miss something,=-O
>>
>> Thanks,
>> zhong jiang
>>
> Regards,

  Last update: 2019-03-06 14:08    [W:0.069 / U:0.052 seconds]