SubjectRe: Smarter Kconfig help
Hi Mark,

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 09:35:21AM +0000, Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 05:31:12PM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
> > Guys,
>
> Hi Russell,
>
> > We need to be smarter when writing Kconfig help. I'm just going
> > through updating my build trees with the results of 5.0 development,
> > and a number of the help texts are next to useless. For example,
> >
> > PVPANIC - is this something that should be enabled for a host or
> > guest kernel? Answer: you have to read the driver code to find out.
>
> When I looked at the help text:
>
> This driver provides support for the pvpanic device. pvpanic is
> a paravirtualized device provided by QEMU; it lets a virtual machine
> (guest) communicate panic events to the host.
>
> ... it seemed clear to me that this was for a guest, given the text says
> QEMU provides the device. I guess you read that as meaning QEMU asks the
> host kernel to provide the device to the guest?

Yes - that's exactly where the confusion was. It could be something
like a tap network device to allow a guest access to a facility on the
host, or it could be something that the guest kernel uses to communicate
with its host environment.

> Do you have a suggestion for how to word that unambiguously?

It used to be normal to include a sugestion in the help text that
guided when an option should be enabled. So, adding something like:

"Say Y here if you are building a kernel for a virtual machine."

would make it clear. This used to be standard throughout the kernel,
but it seems in recent years, this has been omitted.

FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

  Last update: 2019-03-06 13:51    [W:0.074 / U:0.108 seconds]