SubjectRe: Smarter Kconfig help
On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 11:34:36AM +0000, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 12:49:40PM +0200, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:52 AM Russell King - ARM Linux admin
> > <linux@armlinux.org.uk> wrote:

> > > How about "This option does not apply to AArch32 based SoCs" or
> >
> > Negative is usually error prone.
> >
> > > "This option should be enabled for i.MX7 and later SoCs" ?
> >
> > Why it should be? It can / could be I guess.
>
> I've no idea. I'm just making suggestions - if you have anything
> better, let's hear it.

In case it isn't clear, this is the *exact* point here - I don't know
whether this option should be enabled for iMX6 or not, and the only
way I found out was to grep the dts files in arch/arm/boot/dts for
the driver's compatible string. What that reveals is that *no* 32-bit
dts files contain the compatible string, and so I summise that *no*
32-bit iMX SoC should have this driver enabled.

Given that I don't know for certain, _I_ can't write a proper help
text for this - I can only make suggestions which _might_ fit what
the reality actually is.

The excuse that "we can't list the explicit SoCs" to me seems to be
a very lame excuse for a poor, one line help text that says absolutely
nothing that can't already be gathered from the option line itself.
So the current help text might as well be deleted - it's that "useful".

The best that I can come up with right now, given what little I know
from grepping the 32-bit DTS files, is that the help text should at
least indicate that it *isn't* applicable to 32-bit SoCs, or if you
prefer, *is* applicable to 64-bit SoCs. Beyond that, I have no
information to formulate a better suggestion.

This is precisely why I say that we need to be smarter about Kconfig
help text: if it gives no useful information, it might as well not
even exist, and we might as well be honest and have Kconfig say that
there is no help available for the option.

FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

  Last update: 2019-03-06 13:43    [W:0.687 / U:0.008 seconds]