SubjectBUG in "perf: Suppress AUX/OVERWRITE records"?
Date
Hi all

Regarding commit 1627314fb54a33ebd23bd08f2e215eaed0f44712 "perf:
Suppress AUX/OVERWRITE records", I have found that I no longer receive
PERF_RECORD_AUX on context switch when collecting data from the arm_spe
PMU driver. This is because, on context switch, the arm_spe driver
calls perf_aux_output_end with `handle->aux_flags == 0`, failing the
test added in this commit.

This is a problem as it means when capturing data for multiple threads
(using perf_event_open) where AUX data is written to a per-cpu buffer,
I can no longer accurately attribute SPE AUX data to an individual
thread.

If I read the intent of the commit as to remove OVERWRITE AUX records,
then it seems the added if condition is incorrect and should probably
be formulated as:

if ((handle->aux_flags & ~(u64)PERF_AUX_FLAG_OVERWRITE) || !handle-
>aux_flags)

Is this correct (and would you like a patch?), or is my use of
PERF_RECORD_AUX incorrect in this case?

Thanks

Ben

  Last update: 2019-03-25 14:20    [W:0.072 / U:0.836 seconds]