SubjectRe: [BISECTED, REGRESSION] Broken networking on MIPS/OCTEON EdgeRouter Lite
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 09:17:34PM +0100, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> > > These are not PHY properties.
> > >
> > > Looking at the code, it looks like these control delays the MAC
> > > inserts. I don't see a binding document for these properties, so i've
> > > no idea what 0x10 means. Before this driver moves out of staging,
> > > these values should be changed to be in ns.
> >
> > Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/cavium-pip.txt
>
> Hi Aaro
>
> Ah, sorry, missed that.
>
> - rx-delay: Delay value for RGMII receive clock. Optional. Disabled if 0.
> Value range is 1-31, and mapping to the actual delay varies depending on HW.
>
> - tx-delay: Delay value for RGMII transmit clock. Optional. Disabled if 0.
> Value range is 1-31, and mapping to the actual delay varies depending on HW.
>
> I'm surprised this made it passed review. We try to avoid having DT
> poke magic values into registers. That is what this appears to be,
> since it is unclear what the value actually means.

It's probably not too late to improve this since those are
likely used only in-tree. Vendor GPL bundles provide some more
documentation for this setting, as does the FreeBSD source tree:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/contrib/octeon-sdk/cvmx-asxx-defs.h#L911

But reading that, I think it could be still difficult to change it to
rx-delay-ps as it seems to be too coarse/unreliable.

> It is also good to state what happens if the property is not
> present. It often means it defaults to zero. But this implementation
> just leaves the value alone. So to be on the safe side, the DT blob
> should probably have these properties, so the behaviour is well
> defined.

The default is to set both to 16 on CN50XX and 24 on other chips.

A.

  Last update: 2019-03-25 20:31    [W:0.054 / U:0.368 seconds]