SubjectRe: [RFC][Patch v9 0/6] KVM: Guest Free Page Hinting
Date
On 3/14/19 12:58 PM, Alexander Duyck wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:43 AM Nitesh Narayan Lal <nitesh@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> OK so no improvement. OTOH Alex's patches cut time down to 5-7 seconds
>>> which seems better. Want to try testing Alex's patches for comparison?
>>>
>> I realized that the last time I reported the memhog numbers, I didn't
>> enable the swap due to which the actual benefits of the series were not
>> shown.
>> I have re-run the test by including some of the changes suggested by
>> Alexander and David:
>> * Reduced the size of the per-cpu array to 32 and minimum hinting
>> threshold to 16.
>> * Reported length of isolated pages along with start pfn, instead of
>> the order from the guest.
>> * Used the reported length to madvise the entire length of address
>> instead of a single 4K page.
>> * Replaced MADV_DONTNEED with MADV_FREE.
>>
>> Setup for the test:
>> NUMA node:1
>> Memory: 15GB
>> Swap: 4GB
>> Guest memory: 6GB
>> Number of core: 1
>>
>> Process: A guest is launched and memhog is run with 6GB. As its
>> execution is over next guest is launched. Everytime memhog execution
>> time is monitored.
>> Results:
>> Without Hinting:
>> Time of execution
>> Guest1: 22s
>> Guest2: 24s
>> Guest3: 1m29s
>>
>> With Hinting:
>> Time of execution
>> Guest1: 24s
>> Guest2: 25s
>> Guest3: 28s
>>
>> When hinting is enabled swap space is not used until memhog with 6GB is
>> ran in 6th guest.
> So one change you may want to make to your test setup would be to
> launch the tests sequentially after all the guests all up, instead of
> combining the test and guest bring-up. In addition you could run
> through the guests more than once to determine a more-or-less steady
> state in terms of the performance as you move between the guests after
> they have hit the point of having to either swap or pull MADV_FREE
> pages.
I tried running memhog as you suggested, here are the results:
Setup for the test:
NUMA node:1
Memory: 15GB
Swap: 4GB
Guest memory: 6GB
Number of core: 1

Process: 3 guests are launched and memhog is run with 6GB. Results are
monitored after 1st-time execution of memhog. Memhog is launched
sequentially in each of the guests and time is observed after the
execution of all 3 memhog is over.

Results:
Without Hinting
    Time of Execution
1.    6m48s
2.    6m9s

With Hinting
Array size:16 Minimum Threshold:8
1.    2m57s
2.    2m20s

The memhog execution time in the case of hinting is still not that low
as we would have expected. This is due to the usage of swap space.
Although wrt to non-hinting when swap used space is around 3.5G, with
hinting it remains to around 1.1-1.5G.
I did try using a zone free page barrier which prevented hinting when
free pages of order HINTING_ORDER goes below 256. This further brings
down the swap usage to 100-150 MB. The tricky part of this approach is
to configure this barrier condition for different guests.

Array size:16 Minimum Threshold:8
1.    1m16s
2.    1m41s

Note: Memhog time does seem to vary a little bit on every boot with or
without hinting.

--
Regards
Nitesh

  Last update: 2019-03-18 17:00    [W:0.103 / U:0.944 seconds]