SubjectRe: KASAN: null-ptr-deref Read in reclaim_high

I filed https://github.com/google/syzkaller/issues/1054

> I also wonder how does this work for all other kernel bugs reports?
> syzbot is not the only one reporting kernel bugs and we don't want to
> invent new rules here.

Well, I think you already know the answer to that. There's no unified bug
tracking system for all kernel subsystems, so in the worst case bugs/features
just get ignored until someone cares to bring it up again. I know you want to
change that, but the larger problem is that there aren't enough people able and
funded to do the work. For the kernel overall (some subsystems are better, OFC)
there so many low-quality, duplicate, or irrelevant reports/requests that no one
can keep up. That means maintainers have to focus on the highest priority
reports/requests, such as the ones that are clearly relevant and get continued
discussion, vs. some random problem someone had 2 years ago. Just putting stuff
on a bug tracker does not magically make people work on it.

I think the reality is that until people can actually be funded to immediately
analyze every syzbot report, syzbot needs to be designed to help developers
focus on the reports most likely to still be actual bugs. That means
automatically closing bugs where the crash is no longer occurring, especially if
it was on linux-next; and sending reminders if the crash is still occurring.

> Also note that what happens now may be not representative of what will
> happen in a steady mode later. Now syzbot bisects old bugs accumulated
> over 1+ year. Later if it reports a bug, it should bisect sooner. So
> all of what happens in this bug report won't take place.

Sure, but I think there will continue to be syzbot reports that the relevant
people either don't see, or don't have time or expertise to look into. This is
especially true when the same bug is filed as many different bug reports.

- Eric

  Last update: 2019-03-13 19:17    [W:0.195 / U:0.044 seconds]