SubjectRe: [RFC] Question about TLB flush while set Stage-2 huge pages
Hi Zheng,

On 12/03/2019 15:30, Zheng Xiang wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> On 2019/3/12 19:32, Marc Zyngier wrote:
>> Hi Zheng,
>>
>> On 11/03/2019 16:31, Zheng Xiang wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> While a page is merged into a transparent huge page, KVM will invalidate Stage-2 for
>>> the base address of the huge page and the whole of Stage-1.
>>> However, this just only invalidates the first page within the huge page and the other
>>> pages are not invalidated, see bellow:
>>>
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> |abcde 2MB-Page |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>>
>>> TLB before setting new pmd:
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> | VA | PAGESIZE |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> | a | 4KB |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> | b | 4KB |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> | c | 4KB |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> | d | 4KB |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>>
>>> TLB after setting new pmd:
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> | VA | PAGESIZE |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> | a | 2MB |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> | b | 4KB |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> | c | 4KB |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>> | d | 4KB |
>>> +---------------+--------------+
>>>
>>> When VM access *b* address, it will hit the TLB and result in TLB conflict aborts or other potential exceptions.
>>
>> That's really bad. I can only imagine two scenarios:
>>
>> 1) We fail to unmap a,b,c,d (and potentially another 508 PTEs), loosing
>> the PTE table in the process, and place the PMD instead. I can't see
>> this happening.
>>
>> 2) We fail to invalidate on unmap, and that slightly less bad (but still
>> quite bad).
>>
>> Which of the two cases are you seeing?
>>
>>> For example, we need to keep tracking of the VM memory dirty pages when VM is in live migration.
>>> KVM will set the memslot READONLY and split the huge pages.
>>> After live migration is canceled and abort, the pages will be merged into THP.
>>> The later access to these pages which are READONLY will cause level-3 Permission Fault until they are invalidated.
>>>
>>> So should we invalidate the tlb entries for all relative pages(e.g a,b,c,d), like __flush_tlb_range()?
>>> Or we can call __kvm_tlb_flush_vmid() to invalidate all tlb entries.
>>
>> We should perform an invalidate on each unmap. unmap_stage2_range seems
>> to do the right thing. __flush_tlb_range only caters for Stage1
>> mappings, and __kvm_tlb_flush_vmid() is too big a hammer, as it nukes
>> TLBs for the whole VM.
>>
>> I'd really like to understand what you're seeing, and how to reproduce
>> it. Do you have a minimal example I could run on my own HW?

> [...]

This makes very little sense. We shouldn't be able to enter this path
for anything else but a permission update, otherwise the VM_BUG_ON
should fire.

Can you either turn this VM_BUG_ON into a simple BUG_ON, or enable
CONFIG_DEBUG_VM please? If what you're describing is indeed correct (and
I have no reason to doubt you), it should fire.

Thanks,

M.

  Last update: 2019-03-12 19:18    [W:0.084 / U:0.072 seconds]