SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] x86/mm changes for v4.21
On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 10:18 AM Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> So now the question is where to put it back in, I'm thinking this might
> want to be in __cpa_addr().

Wasn't one of the goals to *not* keep the real virtual address around
to avoid speculation, since we don't want some random speculation
using that address to then trigger more MCE's?

If you re-generate the canonical address in __cpa_addr(), now we'll
actually have the real virtual address around for a lot of code-paths
(pte lookup etc), which was what people wanted to avoid in the first
place.

NOTE! I may be *entirely* off on this, and just confused about exactly
which speculative accesses people were worried about.

But at the same time, looking at all the other cases, it does look
like we need to do it in __cpa_addr(), because we also have other tsts
for an actual valid virtual address, ie all the

vaddr = __cpa_addr(cpa, cpa->curpage);
if (!(within(vaddr, PAGE_OFFSET,
PAGE_OFFSET + (max_pfn_mapped << PAGE_SHIFT)))) {

kind of checks.

What's the exact rule and path from "set_mce_nospec()" (which is what
sets that "decoy" address with the high bit clear) to when we can then
use the address for tlb flushing?)

Adding Dan Williams to the participants, because it's really only
set_mce_nospec() that triggers this, and where should try to be
careful that that path really doesn't use the actual real virtual
address. He touched it last.

But I guess the whole decoy_addr thing goes back to Tony Luck and
commit ce0fa3e56ad2 ("x86/mm, mm/hwpoison: Clear PRESENT bit for
kernel 1:1 mappings of poison pages").

Do we really need it?

Linus

  Last update: 2019-02-07 12:53    [W:0.081 / U:0.088 seconds]