SubjectRe: X450LCP lost abillity to turn the screen off
Hello João,

On 2/12/19 2:30 PM, João Paulo Rechi Vita wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:31 PM Marcos Paulo de Souza
> <marcos.souza.org@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello João,
>>
>> On 2/11/19 5:14 PM, João Paulo Rechi Vita wrote:
>>> Hello Marcos,

>>> User-space does not act on KEY_DISPLAYTOGGLE / KEY_DISPLAY_OFF, these
>>> values should be used when the hardware is turning the screen
>>> back-light ON and OFF. According to Asus BIOS engineers, the
>>> back-light used to be driven by the hardware, but they have changed to
>>> the this new approach of telling the OS to drive the back-light for a
>>> while now (no specific dates or BIOS / windows driver versions were
>>> shared). They we actually surprised when we told the that some
>>> machines still have a working implementation (and selected by default
>>> unless told otherwise) of the old behavior, which sounds like it is
>>> the case for the machine you have at hand.
>>>
>>> The new behavior, as defined in their spec is to only notify the OS of
>>> the keypress with 0x35, and have the OS "close" the screen, with the
>>> screen being "opened" on mouse or keyboard activity. This closely
>>> matches the screen lock behavior on Linux platforms, so we are mapping
>>> it to KEY_SCREENLOCK in the kernel, and it then gets mapped to
>>> XF86ScreenSaver by xkeyboard-config, and finally gnome-settings-daemon
>>> uses it as a lock screen shortcut (look for "screensaver" in
>>> plugins/media-keys/shortcuts-list.h on the gnome-settings-daemon
>>> repository).
>>
>> Interesting.

>>> You can check what is being sent by the kernel with evtest, and what
>>> is being sent by X with "xinput test <device id>" (and you can find
>>> the device id with "xinput list"). And you can re-map it without
>>> having to rebuild the kernel using udev's hwdb. But simply re-mapping
>>> should not change anything, since userspace does not act on
>>> KEY_DISPLAYTOGGLE / KEY_DISPLAY_OFF. If you want to switch back to the
>>> old behavior you need to revert "78f3ac76d9e5 platform/x86: asus-wmi:
>>> Tell the EC the OS will handle the display off hotkey".
>>
>> I tried reverting the patch and only recompiling/reinstalling the
>> platform/x86 modules, but the problem still happens. My next step will
>> be testing agains't 4.20, since my machine was working with 4.12, so I
>> might try the major releases first.
>>

> So maybe your desktop environment (KDE) acts on KEY_DISPLAYTOGGLE /
> KEY_DISPLAY_OFF and this is the only reason why this was working in
> the first place? It would be sad to find out different DEs behave
> differently in this situation, but IMO
> include/uapi/linux/input-event-codes.h is not super clear about
> whether userspace should act on these values or they are just intended
> to notify userspace of a change so desktop notifications (like an OSD)
> can be shown. If that is the case you will need to revert all 3
> commits you listed earlier. Also, make sure to check with evtest which
> values are being sent by the kernel to make sure the correct code is
> [...]

I think you found the issue. Tried GNOME in the same machine, with the
same kernel, and it works. I can revert those 3 commits and try again
with a different DE, if you think it would help.

Thanks.

>>> That being said, I believe it would be more productive to figure out
>>> why your userspace stack is not reacting to 0x35 / XF86ScreenSaver and
>>> fix that. Which window manager / graphical desktop environment are you
>>> using?
>>
>> Well, I'm using KDE Plasma 5 Desktop Environment (20170319-lp150.7.1) of
>> openSUSE Leap 15.0.
>>

>>> As a final note, from your dmidecode output I see you are on BIOS
>>> version X450LCP.207, and there is version 208 available for download
>>> on Asus website. I'm curious to know if it changes the old behavior
>>> (with the patches you listed reverted), but I'm not responsible if a
>>> BIOS update breaks your machine in any way, so just do it if you this
>>> is something you are comfortable with and understand and assume all
>>> the risks yourself. We have been reporting machines with the old
>>> behavior back to Asus, but I don't know what they are doing with that
>>> information, if anything. I'm adding your machine with the old BIOS
>>> version to the list, so if you test the new BIOS let me know so I can
>>> add that as well. But please don't feel any pressure to update the
>>> BIOS if this is something you would not do otherwise.
>>
>> For now I would like to skip this upgrade, since it is nothing that I
>> can play with now (I use this machine at work). I really hope that Asus
>> could join fwupd, making such upgrades easier to apply on Linux machines.
>>

> Absolutely, don't worry about the BIOS update.
>
>> Let me know if I can provide more info. I may have news in the next day
>> about testing other kernels...
>>

> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> --
> João Paulo Rechi Vita

[unhandled content-type:application/pgp-keys]

  Last update: 2019-02-13 22:46    [W:0.066 / U:0.264 seconds]