SubjectRe: [5.0-rc5 regression] "scsi: kill off the legacy IO path" causes 5 minute delay during boot on Sun Blade 2500
On 2/12/19 8:24 AM, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-02-11 at 19:50 -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:

>>> I think I've got the root cause. I have one system in my test bed
>>> exhibiting this behaviour. It turns out the disk in it has no
>>> characteristics VPD page. The 0xB1 VPD was a SBC-3 addition, so
>>> that's
>>> not surprising. However, the characteristics check bails before
>>> setting the flags, so it takes the default flag which has flipped.
>>>
>>> We can either fix this by setting the QUEUE_FLAG_ADD_RANDOM if
>>> there's
>>> no 0xB1 page or by setting the default as Jens proposed.
>>
>> I'd recommend just doing my patch, since that'll be the same behavior
>> that SCSI had before.
>
> I've got the history now, it's this patch
>
> Author: Xuewei Zhang <xueweiz@google.com>
> Date: Thu Sep 6 13:37:19 2018 -0700
>
> scsi: sd: Contribute to randomness when running rotational device
>
> It added the else branch to the if (rot == 1). It's the position of
> that else branch which is wrong because not all disks have a SBC-3
> characteristics VPD page, so they're the ones under MQ which stop
> contributing entropy. Whichever patch we go with will need a fixes:
> for this.

Ah, makes sense. I'd say we're _probably_ fine just fixing that then,
or at least it should be two separate patches.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2019-02-12 16:27    [W:0.182 / U:0.244 seconds]