    SubjectRE: recvfrom/recvmsg performance and CONFIG_HARDENED_USERCOPY
    Date
    From: Eric Dumazet
    > Sent: 06 December 2019 14:22
    > Real question is : Do you actually need to use recvmsg() instead of recvfrom() ?
    > If recvmsg() provides additional cmsg, this is not surprising it is more expensive.

    Except I'm not passing in a buffer for it.
    The reason I'm looking at recvmsg is that I'd like to use recvmmsg it order to
    read out more than one message from a socket without doing an extra poll().
    Note that I don't expect there to be a second message most of the time and
    almost never a third one.

    Although I think that will only ever 'win' if recvmmsg() called vfs_poll() to find
    if there was more data to read before doing any of the copy_from_user() etc.

    > recvmsg() also uses an indirect call, so CONFIG_RETPOLINE=y is probably hurting.

    I don't have CONFIG_RETPOLINE enabled, the compiler I'm using is too old.
    (gcc 4.7.3).

    David

    Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

      Last update: 2019-12-09 12:02    [W:6.603 / U:0.044 seconds]