SubjectRe: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference in mem_serial_out
On 2019/12/14 1:07, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 11:31:08PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
>> On 2019/12/13 19:00, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
>>> Easier said than done. "normal user of the serial port" is not really
>>> a thing in Linux, right? You either have CAP_SYS_ADMIN or not, that's
>>> not per-device...
>>> As far as I remember +Tetsuo proposed a config along the lines of
>>> "restrict only things that legitimately cause damage under a fuzzer
>>> workload", e.g. freezing filesystems, disabling console output, etc.
>>> This may be another candidate. But I can't find where that proposal is
>>> now.
>>
>> That suggestion got no response for two months.
>>
>> https://lkml.kernel.org/r/3e4e2b6b-7828-54ab-cf28-db1a396d7e20@i-love.sakura.ne.jp
>>
>> Unless we add such kernel config option to upstream kernels, it will become
>> a whack-a-mole game.
>
> It will be a whack-a-mole game no matter what.
>
> Yes, /dev/mem/ makes no sense to fuzz. Neither does other things (like
> serial port memory addresses.)

/dev/mem makes sense to fuzz. Ditto for other things.

> You just will have a list of things that you "do not fuzz as these are
> dangerous". Nothing new here, any os will have that.

The list of kernel config options will become too complicated to maintain.
If we can have one kernel config option, we can avoid maintaining
the list of kernel config options (which keeps changing over time).

  Last update: 2019-12-14 01:50    [W:1.766 / U:0.008 seconds]