SubjectRe: CONFIG_COMMON_CLK vs CONFIG_HAVE_CLK
Date
Quoting Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult (2019-12-12 02:57:14)
> On 12.12.19 03:09, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:
>
> > I noticed that there are some CONFIG_HAVE_CLK vs CONFIG_COMMON_CLK mismatch.
> > Because of it, I got compile error at clk_set_min_rate() on SH.
> > SH will have HAVE_CLK, but doesn't have COMMON_CLK.
> >
> > > ARCH=sh make allyesconfig
> > > make
> > drivers/devfreq/tegra30-devfreq.o: In function `tegra_devfreq_target':
> > tegra30-devfreq.c:(.text+0x368): undefined reference to `clk_set_min_rate'
> >
> > clk_set_min_rate() is under HAVE_CLK at clk.h
> >
> > --- clk.h ---
> > => #ifdef CONFIG_HAVE_CLK
> > int clk_set_min_rate(struct clk *clk, unsigned long rate);
> > #else /* !CONFIG_HAVE_CLK */
> > static inline int clk_set_min_rate(struct clk *clk, unsigned long rate)
> > -------------
> >
> > It is implemented at clk.c.
> > But it will be compiled via COMMON_CLK
> >
> > --- Makefile ---
> > => obj-$(CONFIG_COMMON_CLK) += clk.o
>
> You've got CONFIG_HAVE_CLK enabled, but CONFIG_COMMON_CLK disabled ?
>
> hmm, the whole CONFIG_HAVE_CLK looks a bit weird to me. I wonder what's
> the actual purpose of having this arch-specific.
>
> IMHO, we should sort out whether there are some things that some arch
> really *needs*, and what could be optional - then split that into
> separate modules along this line.
>
> It seems that clk_set_min_rate() belongs to CONFIG_COMMON_CLK, and
> tegra30-devfreq.c needds to depend on CONFIG_COMMON_CLK.

Years ago there wasn't a common clk framework. Just CONFIG_HAVE_CLK and
architectures implementing the API defined in the clk.h header file.
Then the common clk framework was created and we got CONFIG_COMMON_CLK.
When new clk API features are added to the common clk framework, we
typically limit their implementation and scope to CONFIG_COMMON_CLK so
that architectures are encouraged to migrate to the common clk
framework. I'm not really tracking the other implementations of the clk
API, but I thought we were down to a handful of implementations that
haven't migrated. I suppose SH is one of the big ones.

  Last update: 2019-12-12 22:52    [W:0.046 / U:0.288 seconds]