SubjectRe: seqcount usage in xt_replace_table()
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 1:11 PM Andrea Parri
<andrea.parri@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 12:55:27PM +0100, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 12:24 PM Andrea Parri
> > <andrea.parri@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, I have been aware of these tools since at least ;-)
> > >
> > > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/ktsan/bVZ1c6H2NE0/Dxrw55bfBAAJ

> > > I guess my first reaction would remain
> > >
> > > "it's kind of hard (to use an euphemism) to review 7,582 additions
> > > or so for a data race detector without a clear/an accepted (by the
> > > community) notion of data race..."
> >
> > Tsan's notion of a data race is basically the C/C++'s notion:
> > concurrent/unsynchronized non-atomic access in different threads at
> > least one of which is a write.
>
> Yeah, I think that this notion needs to be detailed, discussed,
> documented, and discussed again. ;-)
>

> > Tremendous (for such a project) benefits of automatic data race
> > detection is a good motivation to finally agree on and accept a
> > practically useful notion of a data race.
>
> Agreed.

While having a 100% formal definition of a data race upfront would be
useful, I don't think this is a hard requirement for deployment of
KTSAN. What I think is required is:
1. Agree that the overall direction is right.
2. Agree that we want to enable data race detection and resolve
problems as they appear in a practical manner (rather than block whole
effort on every small thing).
We deployed TSAN in user-space in much larger code bases than kernel,
and while we had the C/C++ formal definition of a data race, practical
and legacy matters were similar to that of the kernel (lots of legacy
code, different opinions, etc). Doing both things in tandem (defining
a memory model and deploying a data race detector) can actually have
benefits as a race detector may point to under-defined or
impractically defined areas, and will otherwise help to validate that
the model works and is useful.
KTSAN is not fixed as well. We adopted it as we gathered more
knowledge and understanding of the kernel. So it's not that we have to
commit to something upfront.

  Last update: 2019-01-09 13:29    [W:0.053 / U:3.108 seconds]