SubjectRe: Question on handling managed IRQs when hotplugging CPUs
On 30/01/2019 12:43, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2019, John Garry wrote:

>>> I don't think either of those descriptions sound like good candidates
>>> for using managed IRQ affinities.
>>
>> I wouldn't say that this behaviour is obvious to the developer. I can't see
>> anything in Documentation/PCI/MSI-HOWTO.txt
>>
>> It also seems that this policy to rely on upper layer to flush+freeze queues
>> would cause issues if managed IRQs are used by drivers in other subsystems.
>> Networks controllers may have multiple queues and unsoliciated interrupts.
>
> It's doesn't matter which part is managing flush/freeze of queues as long
> as something (either common subsystem code, upper layers or the driver
> itself) does it.
>
> So for the megaraid SAS example the BLK MQ layer obviously can't do
> anything because it only sees a single request queue. But the driver could,
> if the the hardware supports it. tell the device to stop queueing
> completions on the completion queue which is associated with a particular
> CPU (or set of CPUs) during offline and then wait for the on flight stuff
> to be finished. If the hardware does not allow that, then managed
> interrupts can't work for it.

A rough audit of current SCSI drivers tells that these set
PCI_IRQ_AFFINITY in some path but don't set Scsi_host.nr_hw_queues at all:
aacraid, be2iscsi, csiostor, megaraid, mpt3sas

I don't know specific driver details, like changing completion queue.

Thanks,
John

> Thanks,
>
> tglx
>
> .

  Last update: 2019-01-31 18:49    [W:0.108 / U:0.736 seconds]