SubjectRe: Widespread crashes in next-20180906
On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 10:04:13AM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2018 at 06:45:15AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > Build results:
> > total: 134 pass: 133 fail: 1
> > Failed builds:
> > sparc32:allmodconfig
> > Qemu test results:
> > total: 311 pass: 76 fail: 235
> > Failed builds:
> > <pretty much everything trying to boot from disk>
> >
> > Error message is always something like
> >
> > Filesystem requires source device
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "hda" or unknown-block(3,0): error -2
> >
> > The only variance is the boot device. Logs in full glory are available
> > at https://kerneltests.org/builders/, in the "next" column.
> >
> > I did not run bisect, but the recent filesystem changes are a definite suspect.
>
> Yes, this is the vm_fault_t changes. See the other thread on LKML.
> The guilty commit was: 83c0adddcc6e: fs: convert return type int to
> vm_fault_t

That thing is just asking for trouble. Why not leave return type
and value alone and add vm_fault_t * (assuming it really adds value)
as another parameter ? Is it really a good idea to deviate from "return
well defined error as integer" as used everywhere else in the kernel ?
Do we really need "my_favored_error_return_t" in every subsystem going
forward ? Oh well, I guess (hope) that is all discussed in the other
thread.

> This is the *second* time vm_fault_t patches have broken things. The
> first time it went through the ext4 tree, and I NACK'ed it after
> running a 60 second smoke test showed it was broken. The seocnd time
> the problem was supposedly fixed, but it went through the mm tree, and
> so I didn't have a chance regression test or stop it...

Looking at the patch, NACK seems like the proper response to me, maybe
augmented with "please refrain from shooting yourself (and everyone else)
in the foot".

Guenter

  Last update: 2018-09-06 17:42    [W:0.065 / U:0.248 seconds]