SubjectRe: Re: Linux 4.19-rc4 released, an apology, and a maintainership note
Date
> That written: Quite some of the rude mails that contained swearwords I
> read from you have been about code, not persons. I think this is an
> important distinction. I do not have much of an issue with swearing at
> code :), especially when it is in some humorous way.

absolutely, and this is one thing that a lot of people are, sadly,
trained pretty much from birth to be incapable of understanding:
namely the difference between criticism of the PERSON and criticism
of the ACTION.

(1) "YOU are bad! GO STAND IN THE NAUGHTY CORNER!"
(2) "That was a BAD thing to do!"
(3) "That hurt my feelings that you did that"

the first is the way that poorly-trained parents and kindergarten
teachers talk to children.

the second is... only marginally better, but it's a start

the third is how UNICEF trains teachers to treat children as human beings.

> Code quality indeed is important.
> As are human interactions.

absolutely. it's not about the code, it's always, *always* about people.
we just happen to be writing code, but ultimately we are doing so in the
service of other PEOPLE.

l.

  Last update: 2018-09-30 14:09    [W:0.080 / U:0.544 seconds]