SubjectRe: due to kconfig changes kernel config file is no longer sufficient for configuring the kernel
Hi,

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 03:15:12 +0900
> Masahiro Yamada <yamada.masahiro@socionext.com> wrote:

>> > No, that's not it. Since passing ARCH=i386 is the de-facto standard
>> > to configure a 32bit kernel and the result of passing that was not
>> > saved you need to pass it to make as well.
>>

>> If you pass ARCH= for the configuration phase,
>> you need to pass the same ARCH= in the build phase.
>>

>> What I can suggest for you is:
>>

>> $ make ARCH=i386 defconfig
>> $ make ARCH=i386
>>
>> OR
>>
>> $ make i386_defconfig
>> $ make
>
> Maybe you missed that but I do not want to build the defconfig. I want
> to build a *particular* config which has been saved in a file
> beforehand.
>>
>> > And you need to patch a number of
>> > 3rd party build scripts that build a kernel module as part of a
>> > bigger project.
>>

>> You do not need to patch a number of scripts.
>>
>> Just one liner fix.
>> Add 'export ARCH=i386' in the top level script.
>
> And that does not work because there is no toplevel script. rpm has
> three toplevel scripts - prep, build and install.

OK, I understood real problem cases.

I wrote patches to support non-interactive .config updates.

For package building like rpm, deb, etc.
the target ARCH is determined when creating a source package.
If so, it would not hurt to hard-code to record ARCH in the spec file.

> Building out-of-tree module is another toplevel script.

As I said before, the .config is not reconfigured
when building out-of-tree modules.

Out-of-tree modules are built with the .config
that has been used to build vmlinux
regardless of whether you pass ARCH=i386, ARCH=x86_64, or nothing.

If rpmbuild is given target option like 'rpmbuild --target i386 ...",
it think it makes sense to propagate it to ARCH=.

> And it does not suffice to 'export ARCH=i386'. What if it was a 64bit
> config? How do I tell?
>
> With more and more options left out of the config that depend on
> compiler features, environment variables, phase of the moon or whatnot
> you can't even tell what kind of kernel the user is running by looking
> at the config.

I added non-interactive .config update.

Please try it.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

  Last update: 2018-09-03 12:08    [W:0.083 / U:0.568 seconds]