SubjectRe: WARNING: kmalloc bug in input_mt_init_slots
On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 5:08 PM, Christopher Lameter <cl@linux.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2018, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
>
>> What was the motivation behind that WARNING about large allocations in
>> kmalloc? Why do we want to know about them? Is the general policy that
>> kmalloc calls with potentially large size requests need to use NOWARN?
>> If this WARNING still considered useful? Or we should change it to
>> pr_err?
>
> In general large allocs should be satisfied by the page allocator. The
> slab allocators are used for allocating and managing small objects. The
> page allocator has mechanisms to deal with large objects (compound pages,
> multiple page sized allocs etc).

I am asking more about the status of this warning. If it fires in
input_mt_init_slots(), does it mean that input_mt_init_slots() needs
to be fixed? If not, then we need to change this warning to something
else.

  Last update: 2018-09-24 17:19    [W:0.762 / U:0.012 seconds]