    SubjectRe: Code of Conduct: Let's revamp it.
    Dear Edward,

    > I know others have already said it, but:
    > This is legally nonsense. The only way I can revoke someone's rights to
    > my code under the GPL is if they violate the terms of the GPL.

    this aspect of FOSS licenses has -- to the best of my knowledge --
    never been tested in court. Actually, the Free Software Foundation felt
    compelled to clarify this point in GPLv3 and there is a thread on
    StackOverflow acknowledging the possibility of revoking a license [1].
    Finally, revoking the license may very well be possible in some
    jurisdictions but not all of them, e.g., Australia [2]. There are 195
    independent states in this world and I do not think you can make such a
    broad claim if it has never been legally contested before.

    By the way your e-mail is violating the code of coduct.

    > This is legally nonsense.

    You are not empathic towards others and respectful of differing
    viewpoints.

    > In short, "unconditionedwitness", please shut up. You're not helping.

    The comment is derogatory if not downright offensive.

    [1]
    https://law.stackexchange.com/questions/832/is-a-copyright-license-by-default-revocable-or-irrevocable
    [2]
    https://web.archive.org/web/20091024034824/http://www.ilaw.com.au/public/licencearticle.html

    Sincerely
    Christoph Conrads

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 23:57:15 +0100
    Edward Cree <ec429@cantab.net> wrote:

    > On 20/09/18 10:27, unconditionedwitness@redchan.it wrote:
    > > Contributors can, at any time, rescind the license grant regarding their
    > > property via written notice to those whom they are rescinding the grant
    > > from (regarding their property (code)).
    >
    > I know others have already said it, but:
    > This is legally nonsense. The only way I can revoke someone's rights to
    > my code under the GPL is if they violate the terms of the GPL. If I
    > were to do so otherwise, then _I_ would be in violation for having
    > distributed derived works of the kernel without a GPL, not to mention
    > the obvious reliance/estoppel problems.
    >
    > Moreover, even if I _could_ revoke the license, I wouldn't want to do
    > so; it would be ridiculously petty in itself and the precedent it would
    > set would be destructive to the entire open-source community, about
    > which I care deeply. It is _because_ Linux and other open-source
    > projects are so important to humanity that I spoke up about what I
    > perceive as a threat to it.
    >
    > In short, "unconditionedwitness", please shut up. You're not helping.

      Last update: 2018-09-23 16:51    [W:4.281 / U:0.064 seconds]