SubjectLinus, my friend
Despite I didn't have a pleasure to know you personally I have a huge sympathy to the situation that you are in now. It's hard.
You have to re-evaluate what makes you yourself and whether you want to give up a part of you if some particular part of you doesn't is outside of the other people' reality tunnel.

My friend introduced me to Linux before it became untouchable. I remember all the struggle that Linux went through fighting for the its place under the sun with giants like Microsoft and Oracle. The involvement of SCO and other nice stuff. I believe it takes some guts and character to make it through. Not every single person can do it. Code of Conduct will not help it either.
Linux is in the center of billion dollar industry, basically in a non-profit project in a shark pool. Look at what happening in the JavaScript world where Facebook and Google are fighting for the people minds and for the market influence. Don't let Linux become a battlefield for the tech giants. It's your baby and it needs your protection.

When I was a kid we used to gang up and explore the neighborhoods, build hideaways and make secret plans. That was a boys club. And there was boys rules in that club which were perfectly fine. We tend to loose that kind of feeling while growing up because we have to become "serious", respectable and responsible. But look, it's great to have something on a side, another boys club, where it's possible to leave all those social demands alone. And we need people who will be the core of such clubs - people who will remind us about something deep inside us on a constant basis and I guess you are the man who is doing it naturally. It's important not only for you but also for the other kernel developers https://www.upworthy.com/loneliness-is-killing-millions-of-american-men-here-s-why

Now few words about CoC. I would prefer to work with people who sees project success as their own personal goal. Maybe if people can't cope with the words the project success is not as important for them as their ego. It's okay to not let them in. Having a team of people who can put their personal sacrosanctity aside and cooperate on the project is rare fortune.

I guess people who are happy because of your decision to take a step back didn't ever worked in environment like you do. Don't loose yourself because of the people incapable write good quality code.

  Last update: 2018-09-22 11:49    [W:0.610 / U:0.520 seconds]