    SubjectRe: Code of Conduct: Let's revamp it.
    On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 02:16:40AM +0100, Olof Johansson wrote:
    > > But there are too many ways this can go wrong, maybe not now or next
    > > week but in five or ten years, when maybe a different kind of person
    > > is on the TAB, or maybe external pressure is brought to bear on TAB
    > > members.
    >
    > One thing to keep in mind is that we all want what is best for Linux,
    > to make the best possible kernel. None of this has changed that.
    >
    > I personally find it unlikely that relevant pressure could be applied
    > on TAB members; I don't find it a prestigious role such that it is
    > worth holding on to against my own values or best judgement.

    Even *if* pressure could be applied to TAB members, it's important to
    remember that the TAB as a body gets its influence and moral authority
    from the people who have agreed to serve on it, and not the other way
    around. People join the TAB because they want to serve. It's not
    because being on the TAB grants some kind of mystical power, because
    it doesn't. Ultimately, the "A" in TAB stands for Advisory.

    The TAB does not get to control whether patches gets accepted into the
    linux-media git tree. Mauro gets to decide that. The TAB does not
    get to control whether or not Linus accepts pull requests from a
    subsystem maintainer; that's up to Linus. The TAB doesn't run
    vger.kernel.org. That's done by David Miller.

    Look at what happened when a particular developer decided to do the
    anti-social thing and become a copyright troll. It was not the TAB
    which decided that no further code contributions should be accepted
    from that particular person. It was the Netfilter team.

    Linux Maintainers have always had the power to reject patches for any
    reason. It isn't just for technical reasons, as the Netfilter team
    demonstrated with the copyright troll. (Of course, the person whose
    patch has been rejected can always appeal to Linus, by sending the
    patch directly to Linus. None of this has changed; it always has been
    this way.)

    The TAB can make a recommendation, but the decision to act on that
    recommendation resides with the Maintainers in general, and
    ultimately, Linus.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2018-09-20 05:09    [W:5.326 / U:0.004 seconds]