    SubjectRe: Regression caused by commit 7bb05b85bc2d ("r8169: don't use MSI-X on RTL8106e")
    at 14:32, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2018, Kai-Heng Feng wrote:
    >
    >> There's a Dell machine with RTL8106e stops to work after S3 since the
    >> commit introduced. So I am wondering if it's possible to revert the
    >> commit and use DMI/subsystem id based quirk table?
    >
    > Probably.

    Hopefully Jian-Hong can cook up a quirk table for the issue.

    >> It's because of commit bc976233a872 ("genirq/msi, x86/vector: Prevent
    >> reservation mode for non maskable MSI") cleared the reservation mode,
    >> and I
    >> can see this after S3:
    >>
    >> [ 94.872838] do_IRQ: 3.33 No irq handler for vector
    >
    > It's not because of that commit, really. There is a interrupt sent after
    > resume to the wrong vector for whatever reason. The MSI vector cannot be
    > masked it seems in the device, but the driver should quiescen the device to
    > a point where it does not send interrupts.

    Understood.

    >> If the device uses MSI-X instead of MSI, the issue doesn't happen
    >> because of
    >> reservation mode.
    >
    > Reservation mode has absolutely nothing to do with that. What prevents the
    > issue is the fact that MSI-X can be masked by the IRQ core.

    So in this case I think keep the device using MSI-X is a better route, it's
    MSI-X capable anyway.

    >> Is it something should be handled by x86 BIOS? Because I don't see this
    >> issue
    >> when I use Suspend-to-Idle, which doesn't use BIOS to do suspend.
    >
    > Suspend to idle works completely different and I don't see the BIOS at
    > fault here. it's more an issue of MSI not being maskable on that device,
    > which can't be fixed in BIOS or it's some half quiescened state which is
    > used when suspending and that's a pure driver issue.

    Understood.
    Thanks for all the info!

    Kai-Heng

    > Thanks,
    >
    > tglx

      Last update: 2018-09-12 10:21    [W:3.581 / U:0.100 seconds]