SubjectRe: 32-bit PTI with THP = userspace corruption
On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 02:58:10PM +0300, Meelis Roos wrote:
> The machines where I have PAE off are the ones that have less memory.
> PAE is off just for performance reasons, not lack of PAE. PAE should be
> present on all of my affected machines anyway and current distributions
> seem to mostly assume 686 and PAE anyway for 32-bit systems.

Right, most distributions don't even provide a non-PAE kernel for their
users anymore.

How big is the performance impact of using PAE over legacy paging? It
shouldn't be too big because the top-level of the page-table only has 4
entries and is completly cached in the CPU. This makes %cr3 switches
slower, but the page-walk itself still only needs 2 memory accesses.

The page-table entries are also 8 bytes instead of 4 bytes, so that
there is less locality in page-walks and probably a higher cache-miss
rate.

Regards,

Joerg

  Last update: 2018-09-11 14:12    [W:0.141 / U:0.164 seconds]