SubjectRe: [REGRESSION 4.19-rc2] sometimes hangs with black screen when resuming from suspend or hibernation (was: Re: Linux 4.19-rc2)
Date
Cc´d Intel Gfx mailing list, in case somebody there knows something:

Cc´d Thorsten for regression tracking… forgot initially. Can also open
bug report at a later time but so far I cannot provide many details
about the issue.

Rafael J. Wysocki - 11.09.18, 10:17:
<martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Linus Torvalds - 02.09.18, 23:45:
> > > As usual, the rc2 release is pretty small. People are taking a
> >
> > With 4.19-rc2 this ThinkPad T520 with i5 Sandybrdige sometimes hangs
> > with black screen when resuming from suspend or hibernation. With
> > 4.18.1 it did not. Of course there have been userspace related
> > updates that could be related.
> >
> > I currently have no time to dig into this and on this production
> > laptop I generally do not do bisects between major kernel releases.
> > So currently I only answer questions that do not require much time
> > to answer.
> >
> > For now I switched back to 4.18. If that is stable – and thus likely
> > no userspace component is related –, I go with 4.19-rc3 or whatever
> > is most recent version to see if the issue has been fixed already.
>
> There were almost no general changes related to system-wide PM between
> 4.18 and current, so I would suspect one of the device drivers or the
> x86 core. It also may be something like CPU online/offline, however.

I see. I wondered about intel-gfx driver already. Of course it could
also be something else.

I forgot to mention: The mouse pointer was visible, but the screen
remained black. That may again point away from Intel gfx driver. There
has been a MESA update in between in userspace.

Currently running 4.18.7 to make sure it is no userspace issue.

Thanks,
--
Martin

  Last update: 2018-09-11 12:18    [W:1.674 / U:0.124 seconds]