SubjectRe: framebuffer corruption due to overlapping stp instructions on arm64
On 3 August 2018 at 22:44, Matt Sealey <neko@bakuhatsu.net> wrote:
> On 3 August 2018 at 13:25, Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@redhat.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, 3 Aug 2018, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>>
>>> Are we still talking about overlapping unaligned accesses here? Or do
>>> you see other failures as well?
>>
>> Yes - it is caused by overlapping unaligned accesses inside memcpy. When I
>> put "dmb sy" between the overlapping accesses in
>> glibc/sysdeps/aarch64/memcpy.S, this program doesn't detect any memory
>> corruption.
>
> It is a symptom of generating reorderable accesses inside memcpy. It's nothing
> to do with alignment, per se (see below). A dmb sy just hides the symptoms.
>
> What we're talking about here - yes, Ard, within certain amounts of
> reason - is that
> you cannot use PCI BAR memory as 'Normal' - certainly never cacheable memory,
> but Normal NC isn't good either. That is that your CPU cannot post
> writes or reads
> towards PCI memory spaces unless it is dealing with it as Device memory or very
> strictly controlled use of Normal Non-Cacheable.
>
> I understand why the rest of the world likes to mark stuff as
> 'writecombine,' but
> that's x86-ism, not an Arm memory type.
>
> There is potential for accesses to the same slave from different
> masters (or just
> different AXI IDs, most cores rotate over 8 or 16 or so for Normal
> memory to achieve)
> to be reordered. PCIe has no idea what the source was, it will just
> accept them in the order it receives them, and also it will be
> strictly defined to
> manage incoming AXI or ACE transactions (and barriers..) in a way that does
> not violate the PCIe memory model - the worst case is deadlocks, the best case
> is you see some very strange behavior.
>
> In any case the original ordering of two Normal-NC transactions may
> not make it to
> the PCIe bridge in the first place which is probably why a DMB
> resolves it - it will
> force the core to issue them in order and it's likely unless there is
> some hyper-complex
> multi-pathing going on, they'll stay ordered. If you MUST preserve the
> order between
> two Normal memory accesses, a barrier is required. The same is true also of any
> re-orderable device access.

None of this explains why some transactions fail to make it across
entirely. The overlapping writes in question write the same data to
the memory locations that are covered by both, and so the ordering in
which the transactions are received should not affect the outcome.

> [...]
> and linefills
> (if cacheable) can be done. Hence, your memcpy() is just randomly
> chucking whatever
> data it likes to the bus and they'll arrive in any old order,
> 'writecombine' semantics make
> you think you'll only ever see one very large write with all the CPU
> activity merged
> together - also NOT true.
>
> And the granularity of the hazarding in your system, from the CPU
> store buffer to the
> bus interface to the interconnect buffering to the PCIe bridge to the
> PCIe EP is.. what?
> Not the same all the way down, I'll bet you.
>
> It is assuming that Intel writecombine semantics would apply, which to
> be truthful are NO
> different to the ones of a merging store buffer in an Arm processor
> (Intel architecture states
> that the writecombine buffer can be flushed at any time with any
> amount of actual data,
> it might not be the biggest burst you can imagine), but in practice it
> tends to be in cache-line
> sized chunks with strict incrementing order and subsequent writes due
> to the extremely
> large pipeline and queueing will be absorbed by the writecombine
> buffer almost with
> guarantee.
>
> Links is broken. Even on Intel. If you overlap memory transactions and
> expect them to be
> gathered and reordered to produce nice, ordered non-overlapping
> streaming transactions
> you'll be sorely disappointed when they don't, which is what is
> happening here. The fix is
> use barriers - and don't rely on single-copy atomicity (which is the
> only saving feature that
> would not require you to use a barrier) since this is a situation
> where absolutely none is
> afforded.
>
> It'd be easier to cross your fingers that the PCIe RC is has a
> coherent master port (ACE-Lite
> or something fancier) and can snoop into CPU caches. Then you can mark a memory
> location in DRAM as Normal Inner/Outer Cacheable Writeback,
> Inner/Outer Shareable,
> Write-allocate, read-allocate, and you won't even notice your CPU
> doing any memory
> writes, but yes if you tell a graphics adapter that it's main
> framebuffer is in DRAM it might
> be a bit slower (to the speed of the PCIe link.. which may affect your
> maximum resolution
> in some really strange circumstances). If it cannot use a DRAM
> framebuffer then I'd have to
> wonder why not.. every PCI graphics card I ever used could take any
> base address and
> the magic of PCI bus mastering would handle it. This is no different
> to how you'd use
> DRAM as texture memory.. phenomenally slowly, but without having to
> worry about any
> ordering semantics (except you should flush your data cache to PoC at

  Last update: 2018-08-03 23:20    [W:0.359 / U:2.676 seconds]