SubjectRe: SEV guest regression in 4.18

On 08/24/2018 10:50 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

>>> Yes, exactly the latter, because...
>>

>> Hardware does not enforce coherency between the encrypted and
>> unencrypted mapping for the same physical page. So, creating a
>> two mapping of same physical address will lead a possible data
>> corruption.
>>
>> Note, SME creates two mapping of the same physical address to perform
>> in-place encryption of kernel and initrd images; this is a special case
>> and APM documents steps on how to do this.
>
> Ah, so that's what I was thinking about. But a single cache line would
> never be used both encrypted and unencrypted, would it?

No.

If we create two mapping of same physical address and ensure that
accesses are cache line aligned and size then I think we will safe from
cache point of view.

I have not tried early remap from kvmclock_init() yet and not sure if it
will work so early. The downside of this approach is, we will put
too many constraints on caller; it will need to ensure that variables
are cache line aligned and sized, never accessed with C=1, and must
create a new mapping before accessing it.

I am more inclined towards creating a new section with PMD aligned and
sized. This section will contains the decrypted data. In early
boot code we will update the mapping with C=0. If caller wants to create
a shared variable then it can do so with:

static int foo __decrypted;

I will submit patch fir review.

thanks

  Last update: 2018-08-24 20:48    [W:0.058 / U:0.268 seconds]