SubjectRe: due to kconfig changes kernel config file is no longer sufficient for configuring the kernel
Hello,

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 03:15:12 +0900
Masahiro Yamada <yamada.masahiro@socionext.com> wrote:

> >> Why dump of the environment?
> >>

> >> If you are building external modules natively
> >> your distribution provides /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build,
> >> which contains files enough for building external modules.
> >>
> >> You can pass the directory path to M=... parameter. That's it.
> >
> > No, that's not it. Since passing ARCH=i386 is the de-facto standard
> > to configure a 32bit kernel and the result of passing that was not
> > saved you need to pass it to make as well.
>

> If you pass ARCH= for the configuration phase,
> you need to pass the same ARCH= in the build phase.
>

> What I can suggest for you is:
>

> $ make ARCH=i386 defconfig
> $ make ARCH=i386
>
> OR
>
> $ make i386_defconfig
> $ make

Maybe you missed that but I do not want to build the defconfig. I want
to build a *particular* config which has been saved in a file
beforehand.

> > And you need to patch a number of
> > 3rd party build scripts that build a kernel module as part of a
> > bigger project.
>

> You do not need to patch a number of scripts.
>
> Just one liner fix.
> Add 'export ARCH=i386' in the top level script.

And that does not work because there is no toplevel script. rpm has
three toplevel scripts - prep, build and install.

Building out-of-tree module is another toplevel script.

And it does not suffice to 'export ARCH=i386'. What if it was a 64bit
config? How do I tell?

With more and more options left out of the config that depend on
compiler features, environment variables, phase of the moon or whatnot
you can't even tell what kind of kernel the user is running by looking
at the config.

Thanks

Michal

  Last update: 2018-08-20 23:33    [W:0.083 / U:0.484 seconds]