SubjectRe: How to secure erase PCI-E NVME SSD connected via USB3?
On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 8:29 PM, Alan Cox <gnomes@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> # hdparm --user-master u --security-erase p /dev/sda
>> (returns immediately and does nothing).
>>
>> I've tried hdparm on an SSD connected via USB3 and it secure-erased ok.
>>
>> Anyone working on this?
>
> Sounds to me like you need to contact the vendor of the interface in
> question. If it accepted a security erase command and didn't do it then
> it's broken. It's at liberty to refuse it, or report it doesn't know what
> you are talking about, but if it just returned and after re-plugging the
> device its still using the old keys then it or the device is busted and
> it's not something the OS can do much about.

Alan,

You're right. I wrote to JMicron, and they are kind to reply that
"hdparm not support secure-erase feature with USB to NVMe device", and
told me to plug the card into a PCI slot to perform the
security-erase.

I'm asking JMicron again if the JMS583 even support security-erase.

Thanks,
Jeff

  Last update: 2018-08-02 14:57    [W:0.051 / U:0.488 seconds]