SubjectRe: general protection fault in send_sigurg_to_task
On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 01:22:31PM -0500, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 9:01 PM, Eric W. Biederman
> > <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:

> >> You need to use your reproducer to bisect and find the commit that
> >> caused this. Otherwise you will continue to confuse people.
> >>
> >> get_maintainer.pl is not a good target for automated reporting
> >> especially against linux-next.
> >
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > We will do bisection.
> > But I afraid it will not give perfect attribution for a number of reasons:
> > - broken build/boot which happens sometimes for prolonged periods and
> > prohibits bisection
> > - elusive races that can't be reproduced reliably and thus bisection
> > can give wrong results
> > - bugs introduced too long ago (e.g. author email is not even valid today)
> > - reproducers triggering more than 1 bug, so base bisection commit
> > can actually be for another bug, or bisection can switch from one bug
> > to another
> > - last but not least, bugs without reproducers
> > Bisection will add useful information to the bug report, but it will
> > not necessary make attribution better than it is now.
> >
> > Do you have more examples where bugs were misreported? From what I see
> > current attrition works well. There are episodic fallouts, but well,
> > nothing is perfect in this world. Humans don't bisect frequently and
> > misreport sometimes. I think we just need to re-route bugs in such
> > cases.
>
> I have yet to see syzbot make a good report. Especially against
> linux-next.

It did result in a fix (thanks!): https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/16/47

So I'd call that a better-than-nothing report if not a great report?

There's some value just in timeliness; it's a lot easier for me to fix a
bug that I introduced in the last few days, with the change still fresh
in my mind....

--b.

  Last update: 2018-08-17 20:39    [W:0.059 / U:0.960 seconds]