    SubjectRe: Build failures with gcc 4.5 and older
    On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 11:02 AM Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:

    > On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:20:32AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 10:09 AM Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Does that mean that gcc 4.5 and older are now officially no longer
    > > > supported for compiling the kernel ?
    > >
    > > I guess we might as well make this the excuse for making that official.
    > >
    > > Maybe it's trivially fixable, but I don't even want to look at it,
    > > since we've talked about updating the minimum gcc version so long.
    > >
    > > > If so, would it make sense to update include/linux/compiler-gcc.h
    > > > accordingly ?
    > >
    > > Unless somebody cares, and comes with a trivial fix to make old
    > > compilers happy, let's just do that.
    > >

    > Only implication is that it is the death warrant for unicore32,
    > since the only compiler available for it is gcc 4.4.2.

    My ia64 test box only has 4.3.4. I seem to remember some pain points
    with newer versions of gcc on ia64. I need to poke around and find one
    new enough to get past this problem, but that still works for kernel building.

    -Tony

      Last update: 2018-08-14 22:20    [W:2.649 / U:2.404 seconds]