SubjectRe: [Question] bluetooth/{bnep,cmtp,hidp}: memory barriers
On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 05:10:30AM +0200, Andrea Parri wrote:
> Hi,

Hi!

> I'm currently puzzled by the the three calls to smp_mb__before_atomic()
> in bnep_session(), cmtp_session() and hidp_session_run() respectively:

For the curious: I believe Jeffy Chen added all of those.

> On the one hand, these barriers provide no guarantee on the subsequent
> atomic_read(s->terminate) (as the comments preceding the barriers seem
> to suggest), because atomic_read() is not a read-modify-write.

I'll admit, I didn't notice that piece of the documentation when
reviewing this the first time:

Documentation/atomic_t.txt
<quote>
The barriers:

smp_mb__{before,after}_atomic()

only apply to the RMW ops and can be used to augment/upgrade the ordering
inherent to the used atomic op.
</quote>

> On the other hand, I'm currently unable to say *why such an "mb" would
> be required: not being too familiar with this code, I figured I should
> ask before sending a patch. ;-)

I can't fully speak for Jeffy, but I expect based on the initial
development of his patches like this one

commit 5da8e47d849d3d37b14129f038782a095b9ad049