SubjectRe: Commit 554c8aa8ecad causing severe performance degression with pcc-cpufreq
On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:36:20AM +0200, Andreas Herrmann wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:27:21AM +0200, Andreas Herrmann wrote:

> > > OK, because of the "Proliant" entry, right?
> > >
> > > So it looks like we have an issue there. We find the entry and we
> > > look for _PSS. It is not there, so we assume that the firmware is
> > > expected to control performance, which is not the case.

> FYI, there is another BIOS setting on those systems. It's called
> "Collaborative Power Control" (AFAIK enabled by default).
>
> Only if this is disabled, firmware is (alone) in control of
> performance. (And of course in this case neither pcc-cpufreq nor
> intel_pstate will be loaded).

To clarify:

(i) When "Dynamic Power Savings Mode" is enabled _PSS objects are
missing (in fact they seem to be renamed to "XPSS").
pcc-cpufreq driver evaluates PCCH header and loads.

Same when "Collaborative Power Control" is disabled. No _PSS but
XPSS objects. pcc-cpufreq driver fails to evaluate PCCH header,
no cpufreq driver is loaded.

(ii) There are _PSS objects when "OS Control Mode" is selected.

(But I think when "Collaborative Power Control" is disabled there
are no _PSS objects either and the "OS Control Mode" selection
does not matter.)

> > > It looks like we also should look for the presence of the PCC
> > > interface in there.
> > >
> > > I can provide a patch for that, will you be able to test it?
> >
> > Yes, I can test it.

> > > Indeed.
> >

> > Andreas

  Last update: 2018-07-17 12:18    [W:0.095 / U:0.220 seconds]