SubjectRe: Commit 554c8aa8ecad causing severe performance degression with pcc-cpufreq
On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:27:21AM +0200, Andreas Herrmann wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:23:25AM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > I think this is because of (in intel_pstate_init()):
> > >
> > > /*
> > > * The Intel pstate driver will be ignored if the platform
> > > * firmware has its own power management modes.
> > > */
> > > if (intel_pstate_platform_pwr_mgmt_exists())
> > > return -ENODEV;
> > >

> > OK, because of the "Proliant" entry, right?
> >
> > So it looks like we have an issue there. We find the entry and we
> > look for _PSS. It is not there, so we assume that the firmware is
> > expected to control performance, which is not the case.

FYI, there is another BIOS setting on those systems. It's called
"Collaborative Power Control" (AFAIK enabled by default).

Only if this is disabled, firmware is (alone) in control of
performance. (And of course in this case neither pcc-cpufreq nor
intel_pstate will be loaded).

> > It looks like we also should look for the presence of the PCC
> > interface in there.
> >
> > I can provide a patch for that, will you be able to test it?
>
> Yes, I can test it.

> > > Already answered in other mail.
> >
> > Indeed.
>

> Andreas

  Last update: 2018-07-17 11:37    [W:0.055 / U:0.068 seconds]