SubjectRe: s390 qemu boot failure in -next
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 06:35:30AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On 06/25/2018 05:26 AM, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> >

> > On 06/25/2018 10:49 AM, Cornelia Huck wrote:

> If an image is not expected to be bootable, a message such as "This image does
> not boot. Please use <correct image>" would be nice. Unfortunately, which image
> to boot under qemu is pretty much undocumented, and it is guesswork for each
> architecture/platform.
>
> Guenter
>
> > I talked to Vasily and the vmlinux file in the linux source path is just an
> > intermediate file. Future changes will happen that will make that ELF file
> > unsuitable for direct boot anyway (e.g. think about potential ASLR or Kasan
> > changes).
> >
> > If yes, it would make sense to explicitly fence it. But I'm
> > > worried that it would break previously working setups (did we document
> > > the purpose of the images anywhere?

To avoid confusion with trying to boot uncompressed vmlinux under qemu
we could detect it and print "nice" message in the kernel.

Please consider the following patch.

Vasily Gorbik (1):
s390/boot: block uncompressed vmlinux booting attempts

arch/s390/boot/head.S | 4 ++--
arch/s390/include/asm/setup.h | 3 ++-
arch/s390/kernel/early.c | 12 ++++++++++++

⣔⢻⣟⢢ 2.18.0.rc2.13.g4da9a5d
⣿⢿⡿⣿ pacman edition

  Last update: 2018-06-25 17:10    [W:0.078 / U:0.180 seconds]