SubjectRe: RTL8723BE performance regression
On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 1:37 AM, Pkshih <pkshih@realtek.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-05-07 at 14:49 -0700, João Paulo Rechi Vita wrote:

Right, but this is a performace regression in comparison to v4.11, so
if "af8a41cccf8f rtlwifi: cleanup 8723be ant_sel definition" is marked
for stable, shouldn't these other patches be brought as well? All
releases since v4.11 are probably affected, but honestly I don't have
a strong understanding of how the stable trees operate in situations
like this.

>> Surprisingly, it seems forcing ant_sel=1 is not needed anymore on
>> these machines, as the shown by the numbers bellow (ant_sel=0 means
>> that actually no parameter was passed to the module). I have powered
>> off the machine and done a cold boot for every test. It seems
>> something have changed in the antenna auto-selection code since v4.11,
>> the latest point where I could confirm we definitely need to force
>> ant_sel=1. I've been trying to understand what causes this difference,
>> but haven't made progress on that so far, so any suggestions are
>> appreciated (we are trying to decide if we can confidently drop the
>> downstream DMI quirks for these specific machines).
>>
> I think your rtl8723be module programed correct efuse content, so it
> works properly with ant_sel=0, and quirk isn't required for your
> machine.
>
>> w-d-n ant_sel=0: -14.00 dBm, 69.5 Mbps -> good
>> w-d-n ant_sel=1: -10.00 dBm, 41.1 Mbps -> good
>> w-d-n ant_sel=2: -44.00 dBm, 607 kbps -> bad
>>
>> v4.16 ant_sel=0: -12.00 dBm, 63.0 Mbps -> good
>> v4.16 ant_sel=1: - 8.00 dBm, 69.0 Mbps -> good
>> v4.16 ant_sel=2: -50.00 dBm, 224 kbps -> bad
>>
>> v4.15 ant_sel=0: - 8.00 dBm, 33.0 Mbps -> good
>> v4.15 ant_sel=1: -10.00 dBm, 38.1 Mbps -> good
>> v4.15 ant_sel=2: -48.00 dBm, 206 kbps -> bad
>>

> With your results, the efuse content is programmed as one or two antenna
> on AUX path.

With v4.11 I had good performance results on this very same machine
(thus same efuse contents) only when passing ant_sel=1, so there has
to be some change on the code that parses the efuse contents and
decides which antenna will be used.

--
João Paulo Rechi Vita
http://about.me/jprvita

  Last update: 2018-05-09 22:34    [W:0.054 / U:0.916 seconds]