    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-discuss] bug-introducing patches
    On 8 May 2018 at 21:29, Sasha Levin <Alexander.Levin@microsoft.com> wrote:

    > This is interesting. We have a group of power users who are testing out
    > -rc releases, who are usually happy to test out a fast moving target and
    > provide helpful reports back. We also have a group who run a -stable
    > kernel (-stable build/distro/android/etc) who want to avoid having to
    > report bugs to us.
    >
    > What we don't have is a group of people who use Linus's actual releases
    > (not the -rc stuff, but the actual point releases). Power users will
    > move on to the next kernel, and -stable folks won't touch that release
    > until there's a corresponding -stable.

    I resent that assumption :)

    As a 'prosumer' in this context, I try to test an early -rc (usually
    not until -rc2, sometimes not until later, depending on what I see on
    this list), and then intermittently I spread the testing to more of my
    desktop machines using later -rc versions. Once linus releases .0 I
    hope to move my current systems to that in the next few days. But as
    always, other things (sometimes real life, sometimes just new changes
    in userspace) intervene.

    After that, I will pick up Greg's latest if I build a new system
    before the next kernel release, or if I become aware of something
    critical (for my usage) in it. And then probably 4 or 5 weeks after
    linus's release I will start the next cycle of testing -rc verisons.

    So no, I rarely test Greg's current stable version, but there _is_ a
    period of some weeks where I run .0 kernels.

    ĸen

    > Even rawhide, like Josh mentioned, will just fill back with the merge
    > window commits after the release of an older kernel.
    >
    > So the problem I'm seeing is that since a merge window is open only once
    > every 2-3 months people will sometimes try to push poorly tested code
    > just to make that merge window. Additionally, as later -rc releases
    > start showing up people will again merge poorly tested fixes just to
    > make it in time for that release.
    >
    > For both cases, people will push poorly tested code in the kernel just
    > because they want to make it in time for a kernel release that no one
    > will actually use.
    >
    > What if, instead, Linus doesn't actually ever release a point release?
    > We can make the merge window open more often, and since there's no
    > actual release, people won't rush to push fixes in later -rc cycles.
    >
    > We take away the incentive to push poorly tested code. Maintainers still
    > free to commit anything they'd like, but there's no reason to commit
    > code they're not confident of just to make it to a random release no one
    > will use.
    >
    > Merge window will happen more often, so there's no real reason to rush
    > things in a particular window, and since -stable releases every week
    > there's no rush to push a fix in since the next release is just a week
    > away.

      Last update: 2018-05-08 23:08    [W:4.059 / U:0.128 seconds]