Subject[Ksummit-discuss] bug-introducing patches
Date
On 05/03/2018 08:43 AM, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 08:27:48AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
>> On Thu, 2018-05-03 at 15:06 +0000, Sasha Levin via Ksummit-discuss
>> wrote:

>>> I think that the ideal outcome of this discussion, at least for me,
>>> is a tool to go under scripts/ that would allow maintainers to get
>>> some sort of (quantifiable) data that will indicate how well the
>>> patch was tested via the regular channels.
>>>
>>> At which point it's the maintainer's judgement call on whether he
>>> wants to grab the patch or wait for more tests or reviews.
>>>
>>> This is very similar to what James has described, it just needs to
>>> leave his brain and turn into code :)
>>
>> I appreciate the sentiment, but if we could script taste, we'd have
>> replaced Linus with something far less cantankerous a long time ago ...
>
> Linus, IMO, is getting replaced. Look at how many functions he used to
> do 10 years ago he's no longer responsible for.

Agree.

> One of the most obvious examples is -next, where most integration issues
> are resolved before they even reach to Linus.
>
> This is good for the community, as it allows us make the process better
> and scale out. It is also good for Linus, as I'm not sure how long he'd
> last if he still had to edit patches by hand too often. Instead, he gets
> to play with things that interest him more where his is irreplaceable.
>
>> It's also a sad fact that a lot of things which look like obvious fixes
>> actually turn out not to be so with later testing. This is why the
>> user visibility test is paramount. If a bug fix has no real user
>> visible effects, it's often better to defer it no matter how obvious it
>> looks, which is why the static code checkers often get short shrift
>> before a merge window.
>>
>> A script measuring user visibility would be nice, but looks a bit
>> complex ...
>
> It is, but I think it's worthwhile. Would something that'll show you
> things like:
>
> - How long a patch has been in -next?
> - How many replies/reviews/comments it got on a mailing list?
> - Did the 0day bot test it?
> - Did syzbot fuzz it? for how long?
> - If it references a bugzilla of some sort, how many
> comments/reviews/etc it got there?
> - Is it -stable material, or does it fix a regression in the current
> merge window?
> - If subsystem has custom testing rig, results from those tests
>
> be a step in the right way? is it something you'd use to make decisions
> on whether you'd take a patch in?

Reminds me (too much) of checkpatch. Sure checkpatch has its uses,
as long as its not seen as the only true voice. (some beginners don't
know about that yet)

So with this new script, human evaluation would still be needed.
It's just a tool. I could be used or misused or abused.
$maintainer still has a job to do, but having a tool could help.

But be careful what you wish for. Having such a tool could help get
patches merged even quicker.

--
~Randy

  Last update: 2018-05-03 19:18    [W:0.139 / U:0.132 seconds]