SubjectRe: [Ksummit-discuss] bug-introducing patches
Date
On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 08:49:11AM -0700, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 02:55:36PM +0000, Sasha Levin wrote:

>> >Holding up even fixes for severe bugs for 4-6 weeks ? Seriously, that is
>> >unrealistic. Holding up the fix for the next SpeckHammer because it was not
>> >ready before -rc4 ? I don't think so.
>>
>> For severe problems, the patch usually gets more than enough reviews and
>> testing, so I don't see a need to soak it in -next more than some
>> minimal amount of time to get bot coverage.
>>
>> However, these things show up only a few times per year. Most of the
>> fixes even in late -rc cycles are for older bugs that aren't too
>> critical. We can't base our decision on severe bugs that get exceptional
>> treatment anyways (see PTI getting pushed in -stable).
>>
>> >Even when not counting severe problems, you are adding lots of additional work
>> >for those who do and want to rely on stable releases to merge in bug fixes.
>> >Sure, I am at times annoyed having to deal with a regression in a stable
>> >release, but it very much beats digging through various mailing lists for
>> >pending patches to fix CVEs, or for crashes seen in the field, just because
>> >they are held hostage by some restrictive process. Even worse, I'd end up
>> >picking the regressions anyway because I can _not_ wait those 4-6 weeks
>> >plus the time it takes for the fixes to show up in a stable release.
>>
>> I think that for -stable we don't have a good idea how soon we want to
>> merge patches in. On one hand enterprise distro folks complain we're
>> jumping the gun, and on the other hand folks like yourself claim we're
>> too slow :)
>>

>You are misquoting me. I am saying that it would be a bad idea to hold up
>bug fixes after -rc4, which is quite different to saying that patches
>don't make it into stable releases fast enough. I am perfectly happy to
>wait a week or so for a patch to soak in _mainline_ before being applied
>to stable.

Most bug fixes that go in at that point are fixes for previous released
kernels, what's the harm in keeping them around for longer?

I'm not saying that it should be some arbitrary rule for everyone, but
just suggesting that maintainers should exercise more caution merging
untested commits that don't even fix a current regression.

w.r.t stable, as you just said, you're fine with a week or two, the
enterprise folks (as well as Ted, to some extend, in this thread)
suggest that this should be a month+

>I am absolutely _not_ happy with the number of patches making it into
>-stable releases recently. I am especially very concerned that the current
>flurry of patches queued for -stable will destabilize pretty much all
>stable releases, and pretty badly, for that matter. I am seriously
>contemplating not to integrate the next few stable releases into ChromeOS
>for that very reason. That would be a different discussion, though.

For AUTOSEL, I'd be happy to learn of issues you encounter and address
them in my process.

I've been submitting automatically selected patches for over a year now
and the track record for regressions is on par with patches that are
tagged for stable.

  Last update: 2018-05-03 18:02    [W:0.351 / U:0.044 seconds]