    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-discuss] bug-introducing patches
    Date
    On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 04:52:05PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
    >On Thu, May 03, 2018 at 02:46:14PM +0000, Sasha Levin wrote:
    >> I'll work on breaking up the 4.16 commits into categories, but one
    >> interesting statistic I've noticed while starting the work is:
    >>
    >> Fixes in -rc cycles:
    >> rc1 68
    >> rc2 147
    >> rc3 88
    >> rc4 121
    >> rc5 40
    >> rc6 193
    >> rc7 98
    >>
    >> Average days in -next, for a fix, per -rc cycle:
    >> rc1 27.25
    >> rc2 21.4286
    >> rc3 22.5114
    >> rc4 18.281
    >> rc5 14.65
    >> rc6 12.6166
    >> rc7 8.70408
    >>
    >> Fixes for bugs not introduced in current merge window:
    >> rc1 40
    >> rc2 113
    >> rc3 61
    >> rc4 79
    >> rc5 25
    >> rc6 139
    >> rc7 72
    >>
    >> So for some reason, there is a rush to push fixes for older bugs (that
    >> were not introduced in the current merge window) to the point that rc7
    >> commits that only existed for a few days are merged in to address older
    >> bugs.
    >
    >IMHO it's because it's the time it takes for users to start to trust the
    >3rd or 4th stable release of the previous version, to switch to it, to
    >face a bug, to report it, and for the maintainer to write a fix.
    >
    >I wouldn't be much surprised if you'd find that among those not introduced
    >in the current merge window, many were introduced in the previous release.

    Interesting. Here it is for v4.16-rcX fixes that fix something
    introduced before v4.14:

    rc1 30
    rc2 87
    rc3 51
    rc4 68
    rc5 23
    rc6 113
    rc7 61

    So I'm not sure if what you described is really the case.

      Last update: 2018-05-03 17:01    [W:2.557 / U:0.016 seconds]