SubjectRe: bug-introducing patches
Hi Sasha,

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 6:38 PM, Sasha Levin
<Alexander.Levin@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Working on AUTOSEL, it became even more obvious to me how difficult it is for a
> patch to get a proper review. Maintainers found it difficult to keep up with
> the upstream work for their subsystem, and reviewing additional -stable patches
> put even more load on them which some suggested would be more than what they
> can handle.

Thanks for your work!

> - For some reason, the odds of a -rc commit to be targetted for -stable is
> over 20%, while for merge window commits it's about 3%. I can't quite
> explain why that happens, but this would suggest that -rc commits end up
> hurting -stable pretty badly.

Aren't more -rc commits targeted for -stable because they are bugfixes?
Ideally, new features are supposed to be merged during the merge window,
while -rc commits fix bugs.

So they can be categorized like:
1. Plain -rc commits,
2. -rc commits fixing a bug:
a. in the same release cycle,
b. in a previous release.

2a assumes the bug was backported to -stable, too, doesn't it?

Do you have statistics for which categories are most buggy?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2018-05-02 17:33    [W:0.131 / U:0.224 seconds]