SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] x86/build changes for v4.17
On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 09:58:03PM +0000, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
> Speaking more with our internal LLVM teams, there ARE a few different
> approaches to implementing asm-goto in LLVM proposed, by external parties
> to Google. These proposals haven't progressed to code review, so we've
> asked our LLVM teams to reignite these discussions with increased priority,
> if not implement the feature outright. We (Google kernel AND llvm hackers)
> are committed to supporting the Linux kernel being built with Clang.
>
> I can see both sides where eventually a long-requested feature-request
> should come to a head, especially with good evidence (
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/2/14/895), but just as you wouldn't accept a
> patch that doesn't compile with GCC, I'd like to request that we don't
> merge patches that fail to compile with Clang (or at least start to think
> what that might look like).

Again, I ask what the plans are for asm-cc-output, hard depending on
that is a few years out I imagine, but if you don't promise feature
parity for all the features we use, I can see this all happening again.

Also, it would be good to get input on the whole memory model situation;
esp. with people looking to do LTO builds, the C/C++ memory model can
cause us quite some grief, for specifics I feel we should start a new
thread. But this is another issue that's been raised several times
without feedback.

  Last update: 2018-04-04 11:20    [W:0.104 / U:0.388 seconds]