SubjectRe: noveau vs arm dma ops
On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 11:09 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I'm pretty sure I've seen some oddly low dma masks in GPU drivers. E.g.
> duplicated in various AMD files:
>
> adev->need_dma32 = false;
> dma_bits = adev->need_dma32 ? 32 : 40;
> r = pci_set_dma_mask(adev->pdev, DMA_BIT_MASK(dma_bits));
> if (r) {
> adev->need_dma32 = true;
> dma_bits = 32;
> dev_warn(adev->dev, "amdgpu: No suitable DMA available.\n");
> }
>
> synopsis:
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/synopsys/dw-hdmi-i2s-audio.c: pdevinfo.dma_mask = DMA_BIT_MASK(32);
> drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/synopsys/dw-hdmi.c: pdevinfo.dma_mask = DMA_BIT_MASK(32);
> drivers/gpu/drm/bridge/synopsys/dw-hdmi.c: pdevinfo.dma_mask = DMA_BIT_MASK(32);
>
> etnaviv gets it right:
>
> drivers/gpu/drm/etnaviv/etnaviv_gpu.c: u32 dma_mask = (u32)dma_get_required_mask(gpu->dev);
>

> But yes, the swiotlb hackery really irks me. I just have some more
> important and bigger fires to fight first, but I plan to get back to the
> root cause of that eventually.

>> > The problem is that a cache flushing API entirely separate is hard. That
>> > being said if you look at my generic dma-noncoherent API series it tries
>> > to move that way. So far it is in early stages and apparently rather
>> > buggy unfortunately.
>>
>> I'm assuming this stuff here?
>>
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/20/146
>>
>> Anyway got lost in all that work a bit, looks really nice.
>
> That url doesn't seem to work currently. But I am talking about the
> thread titled '[RFC] common non-cache coherent direct dma mapping ops'
>
>> Yeah the above is pretty much what we do on x86. dma-api believes
>> everything is coherent, so dma_map_sg does the mapping we want and
>> nothing else (minus swiotlb fun). Cache flushing, allocations, all
>> done by the driver.
>
> Which sounds like the right thing to do to me.
>
>> On arm that doesn't work. The iommu api seems like a good fit, except
>> the dma-api tends to get in the way a bit (drm/msm apparently has
>> similar problems like tegra), and if you need contiguous memory
>> dma_alloc_coherent is the only way to get at contiguous memory. There
>> was a huge discussion years ago about that, and direct cma access was
>> shot down because it would have exposed too much of the caching
>> attribute mangling required (most arm platforms need wc-pages to not
>> be in the kernel's linear map apparently).
>
> Simple cma_alloc() doesn't do anything about cache handling, it
> just is a very dumb allocator for large contiguous regions inside
> a big pool.
>
> I'm not the CMA maintainer, but in general I'd love to see an
> EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL slapped onto cma_alloc/release and drivers use
> that were needed. Using that plus dma_map*/dma_unmap* sounds like
> a much saner interface than dma_alloc_attrs + DMA_ATTR_NON_CONSISTENT
> or DMA_ATTR_NO_KERNEL_MAPPING.
>
> You don't happen to have a pointer to that previous discussion?

I'll try to dig them up, I tried to stay as far away from that
discussion as possible (since I have the luxury to not care for intel
gpus).

>> Anything that separate these 3 things more (allocation pools, mapping
>> through IOMMUs and flushing cpu caches) sounds like the right
>> direction to me. Even if that throws some portability across platforms
>> away - drivers who want to control things in this much detail aren't
>> really portable (without some serious work) anyway.
>
> As long as we stay away from the dma coherent allocations separating
> them is fine, and I'm working towards it. dma coherent allocations on
> the other hand are very hairy beasts, and provide by very different
> implementations depending on the architecture, or often even depending
> on the specifics of individual implementations inside the architecture.
>
> So for your GPU/media case it seems like you'd better stay away from
> them as much as you can.

Hm, at least on x86 we do set up write-combine mappings ourselves (by
calling relevant functions, which also changes the kernel mapping to
avoid aliasing fun). Of course that means the gpu drivers are less
portable, but then they're not really all that portable anyway - the
buffer handling code always needs to be tuned for the platform you're
running on. GPUs really love write-combining everything (we do the
same for our mmio mappings to kernel/userspace, see stuff like
io-mapping.h.

But in many other cases dma_alloc_coherent is only used because it's
the convenient/only way to allocate the memory we need.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation

  Last update: 2018-04-26 11:46    [W:0.121 / U:0.076 seconds]