    SubjectRe: Problem with commit 31e77c93e432 "sched/fair: Update blocked load when newly idle"
    Hi Heiner,

    On 9 April 2018 at 19:33, Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Am 06.04.2018 um 18:03 schrieb Vincent Guittot:
    >> Hi Heiner,

    >>> Sure, he we go. I also add a system log.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the config. I have used it for my setup but I can't
    >> reproduce your regression. My platforms stay stable so I probably
    >> missing something. Are you facing similar problem with other platforms
    >> or only this celeron based platform ?
    >>
    >> I have reviewed the code but don't see any obvious place in the patch
    >> that can generate the problem. Nevertheless, would you mind to try the
    >> patch below ? It's a blind test to try to narrow the problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    > Hi Vincent,
    >
    > I tried again with today's linux-next and it's much better. The lag isn't
    > completely gone but it's much less annoying. Every ~30 secs the console
    > hangs for about half a second, that's much less frequent than before.

    That's interesting because nothing related to commit
    31e77c93e432dec79c7d90b888bbfc3652592741 has been merged recently
    AFAICT

    > I saw some patches from Rafael have been merged in the last days.
    > Maybe they improved the situation.

    Yes, Peter mentions in another thread that lastest Rafael's patches
    avoid stopping tick when entering short idle thus reducing the time to
    enter idle. commit 31e77 is adding some background activity when
    entering idle so it can be that we take too much time

    You also mentioned that the CPU was relatively slow on the platform.
    Can you try to use cpufreq performance governor instead of ondemand ?

    I'm also going to prepare a patch for adding some trace in the code to
    highlight the problem

    Thanks,
    Vincent

    > Regards, Heiner

    [snip]

      Last update: 2018-04-11 19:01    [W:4.643 / U:0.432 seconds]