SubjectRe: [Possible REGRESSION, 4.16-rc4] Error updating SMART data during runtime and could not connect to lvmetad at some boot attempts
Date
Hi Thorsten.

Hans de Goede - 19.03.18, 10:50:
> On 19-03-18 10:42, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Hi! On 11.03.2018 09:20, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >> Since 4.16-rc4 (upgraded from 4.15.2 which worked) I have an issue
> >
> >> with SMART checks occassionally failing like this:
> > Martin (or someone else): Could you gibe a status update? I have this
> > issue on my list or regressions, but it's hard to follow as two
> > different issues seem to be discussed. Or is it just one issue? Did the

There are at least two issues.

> > patch/discussion that Bart pointed to help? Is the issue still showing
> > up in rc6?
>
> Your right there are 2 issues here:
>
> 1) The Crucial M500 SSD (at least the 480GB MU03 firmware version) does
> not like enabling SATA link power-management at a level of min_power
> or at the new(ish) med_power_with_dipm level. This problem exists in
> older kernels too, so this is not really a regression.
>
> New in 4.16 is a Kconfig option to enable SATA LPM by default, which
> makes this existing problem much more noticeable. Not sure if you want
> to count this as a regression. Either way I'm preparing and sending
> out a patch fixing this (by blacklisting LPM for this model SSD) right
> now.

Yes, and this is fixed by the nolpm quirk patch of Hans.

> 2) There seem to be some latency issues in the MU03 version of the
> firmware, triggered by polling SMART data, which causes lvmetad to
> timeout in some cases. Note I'm not involved in that part of this
> thread, but I believe that issue is currently unresolved.

Additionally I get a failure on boot / resume from hibernation in
blk_mq_terminate_expire occassionally. But I tend to believe that this is the
same issue.

This is still unresolved as of 4.16-rc6 + nolpm quick patch from Hans and the
"Change synchronize_rcu() in scsi_device_quiesce() into synchronize_sched()"
patch by Bart. Cause I had this occassional boot failure with it already.

The patch by Bart seems to be related to another issue of the blk-mq quiescing
stuff.

Thanks,
--
Martin

  Last update: 2018-03-19 13:37    [W:0.049 / U:0.080 seconds]