SubjectRe: dcache: remove trylock loops (was Re: [BUG] lock_parent() breakage when used from shrink_dentry_list())
Al Viro <viro@ZenIV.linux.org.uk> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 06:16:28AM +0100, John Ogness wrote:
>
>> If someone else has grabbed a reference, it shouldn't be added to the
>> lru list. Only decremented.
>>
>> if (entry->d_lockref.count == 1)
>
> Nah, better handle that in retain_dentry() itself. See updated
> #work.dcache.
>
> Note: another potentially fun thing in that branch is that I've
> finally decided to bite the bullet and make __d_move() preserve
> ->d_parent of target.
>
> Mainline:
> al@sonny:/tmp$ touch d
> al@sonny:/tmp$ sleep 100 >/tmp/a/b/c &
> [1] 16487
> al@sonny:/tmp$ ls -l /proc/16487/fd
> total 0
> lrwx------ 1 al al 64 Mar 12 11:33 0 -> /dev/pts/13
> l-wx------ 1 al al 64 Mar 12 11:33 1 -> /tmp/a/b/c
> lrwx------ 1 al al 64 Mar 12 11:33 2 -> /dev/pts/13
> al@sonny:/tmp$ mv /tmp/d /tmp/a/b/c
> al@sonny:/tmp$ ls -l /proc/16487/fd
> total 0
> lrwx------ 1 al al 64 Mar 12 11:33 0 -> /dev/pts/13
> l-wx------ 1 al al 64 Mar 12 11:33 1 -> /tmp/c (deleted)
> lrwx------ 1 al al 64 Mar 12 11:33 2 -> /dev/pts/13
>
> With that branch:
> root@kvm1:/tmp# touch d
> root@kvm1:/tmp# sleep 100 >/tmp/a/b/c &
> [1] 2263
> root@kvm1:/tmp# ls -l /proc/2263/fd
> total 0
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Mar 12 11:33 0 -> /dev/pts/0
> l-wx------ 1 root root 64 Mar 12 11:33 1 -> /tmp/a/b/c
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Mar 12 11:33 2 -> /dev/pts/0
> root@kvm1:/tmp# mv /tmp/d /tmp/a/b/c
> root@kvm1:/tmp# ls -l /proc/2263/fd
> total 0
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Mar 12 11:33 0 -> /dev/pts/0
> l-wx------ 1 root root 64 Mar 12 11:33 1 -> '/tmp/a/b/c (deleted)'
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Mar 12 11:33 2 -> /dev/pts/0
>
> It doesn't come quite for free; cross-directory d_move()
> and d_exchange() callers are responsible for having both
> parents pinned (all of them do that, mostly since the usual
> sequence is "look parents up, lock_rename(), *then* look
> children up, then do renaming"; those that are not part of
> rename(2) are also OK) and d_splice_alias() has become potentially
> blocking in one case. AFAICS, none of the callers is in
> locking environment that would not allow that. Survives
> the local beating and doesn't seem to cause any performance
> regressions.
>
> What we get out of that is
> a) much saner semantics for d_move() et.al.
> b) saner behaviour of d_path() (see above)
> c) dentry can be IS_ROOT only if it has been
> such all along; that simplifies the hell out of analysis.
>
> FWIW, there's another trylock loop on dentries - one in
> autofs get_next_positive_dentry(). Any plans re dealing
> with that one?
>
> I'd spent the last couple of weeks (when not being too sick
> for any work) going through dcache.c and related code; hopefully
> this time I will get the documentation into postable shape ;-/

> [...]

I don't have the entire context in my head. But I don't think we
have problems today.

NFS before it uses paths from an unconnected root in the rest of
the vfs walks those paths backwards and makes the paths connect.
I don't remember where all of that code that performs those connections
but I do remember the code in fs/fhandle.c shares that code with nfs, to
perform the same operation in open_by_handle_at.

So I don't think the nfs peculiarities are actually relevant to
anything on an ordinary code path.

Of the two code paths you are concert about:

For path path_connected looking at s_root is a heuristic to avoid
calling is_subdir every time we need to do that check. If the heuristic
fails we still have is_subdir which should remain accurate. If
is_subdir fails the path is genuinely not connected at that moment
and failing is the correct thing to do.

For mnt_too_revealing the only filesystems under consideration are
proc and sysfs. So nfs oddities are of no consequence.
mnt_too_revealing probably won't be extended to other filesystems.
Certainly nfs is not a candidate for having setting SB_I_USERNS_VISIBLE.

Al is that sufficient to address your concerns?

Eric

  Last update: 2018-03-12 21:25    [W:0.100 / U:0.496 seconds]