    SubjectRe: [RFC/RFT patch 0/7] timekeeping: Unify clock MONOTONIC and clock BOOTTIME
    On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 8:33 AM, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

    > This really needs lot of testing, documentation updates and more input from
    > userspace folks to make a final decision.

    Honestly, I don't think we'd get the testing this kind of change needs
    except by just trying it.

    I'm willing to merge this in the 4.17 merge window, with the
    understanding that if people end up reporting issues, we may just have
    to revert it all, and chalk it up to a learning experience - and add
    the appropriate commentary in the kernel code about exactly what it
    was that depended on that MONO/BOOT difference.

    One non-technical thing I would ask: use some other word than
    "conflate". Maybe just "combine". Or better yet, "unify".

    "Conflate" technically and historically means the same thing as
    combine, but has very much gathered a side meaning of "confuse".

    So yes, "conflate" is indeed about mixing or combining, but it's
    typically used in the sense of a *bad* combination or mixing. So
    "trying to conflate two issues" means "trying to mix two issues that
    are not the same into one".

    So "unify" and "conflate" mean both the same thing and almost exactly
    the opposite at the same time.

    And yes, you will find dictionaries (and linguists) that hold purely
    to the old meaning. As always, there are fogeys that can't get over
    the fact that meanings meander and change.

    Linus

      Last update: 2018-03-01 18:23    [W:4.263 / U:0.008 seconds]