    SubjectRe: Removing architectures without upstream gcc support
    On 24/02/18 03:10, Guenter Roeck wrote:
    > On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 03:43:16PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    >>> Regarding the older architectures I mentioned (m32r, frv, mn10300),
    >>> the situation is a bit different as they don't have the problems with
    >>> build testing but they do have problems with using less of the
    >>> standard interfaces (syscall, timer, gpio, rtc, ...), so they do add
    >>> more to the maintenance burden without the nostalgia value of
    >>> some of the even older architectures (parisc, alpha, m68k, ia64)
    >>> that people maintain mainly for fun.
    >>
    >> IMHO the magic word is 'maintain'. If someone is actively maintaining it
    >> then I don't think we should care too much, if not then while the code
    >> may be buildable on current systems does anyone honestly think it works
    >> properly if used in anger ?
    >>

    > FWIW, alpha and m68k are known boot with qemu (even though m68k
    > generates a warning traceback with the mainline kernel).

    At the very least I build every defconfig for every rc and release
    kernel for m68k. I also run a ColdFire build through qemu (non-MMU)
    and also run it and an MMU build on real hardware. So they are
    always checked and by far mostly work - and when they don't I fix
    it ASAP.

    I am pretty sure Geert does similar for the traditional 68k targets.
    NXP still sell ColdFire parts, so for the moment it is not dead
    in terms of available silicon.

    (*) I know linux-4.16-rc1 and rc2 issue a warning on boot of a
    non-MMU m68k/coldfire build due to the addition of a warning by
    Christoph in 205e1b7f51e4 ("dma-mapping: warn when there is no
    coherent_dma_mask") but I haven't had a chance to track what the
    exact problem is there.

    Regards
    Greg

      Last update: 2018-02-24 00:50    [W:6.283 / U:0.296 seconds]